Monday, March 19, 2007

Past the Pane


I left the window open again…



…and snow blew through its wooden-framed void.
It brought with it whispers
on icy winds of times long past.
This was white wind that seemed to sense that my ears had been ringing with audible memories.
What do you think I did?”
I invaded the whispers with my harsh tone.
You expect nothing of me, and yet you hope for everything!”
The wind continued to invite its way in, with no hint of its flustering intention.
Then all at once the snow became thicker,
hurdling through the gap at a greater speed.

And all I had to do was close the window.

But I stood frozen, not from the cold flurries that teased around me, and nor was it fear that ceased my steps.
The wind continued to push through the open window, past the pane, causing the walls to shudder.
It continued,

because I let it.

It was a simple fix.
Closing the window would stop the ice, the wind and the whispers,
but if I closed it, then I would be stricken with silence.
Give me the companionship of an element without the frozen pain it whispers through my window.”
The ice did not subside, and the wish was lost to the wind.
Then why does it burn when you embrace my body with your frozen fingers? The ice should numb me, not cause me further torment.”
Frozen flakes upon frozen flesh
should no longer burn.
Ice upon ice should not scald.
I stood facing the window, embracing the wind’s might,
yet still pelted with unfettered stings,
each alternately arousing desire, then pain.
Torturous torrent of frosted gust, I have power against you…and yet I do not use it.”
Whispers slid through my earlobes,
lapping with their icy tongues.
The wind forced air into me,
my lungs raped so forcefully that breath soon became laboured,
bordering impossible.
I took a step towards the window.

The wind lessened, its white glare softening to sheen and glow.
Breathing became pleasant, and the whispers had soft mouths now.
Although the harsh gale could return at any time…
I would close the window another day.



No comments: