Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Move to the Cariboo



Until I moved here two months ago, I had never ventured north of North Vancouver for an extended amount of time. Lower Mainland temperatures rarely sneak below minus five, so, consequently, I had never experienced anything colder.
I didn't contact extreme cold until last February, while at a conference in Ontario. Stepping outside the hotel in Ottawa felt like a million needles stabbing my face with a horde of gremlins chewing off my ears.
As the frosty wind cut into my eyes, I swore I would live in Coquitlam forever.
Fast forward a few months: I'm offered jobs from around the province, but I am skeptical of the weather. Potential employers try to reassure me with comforting words:
"The thing about (insert Northern community here) is there are four distinct seasons."
"It's a dry cold here, not like the wet of the coast that you can feel in your bones. Minus 25 here feels like minus five down there."
"Snow? Barely."
"Rain? Never"
"Winters are always sunny, the skies are so clear. No one gets Seasonal Affective Disorder here!"
"The mosquitoes aren't so bad."
Convinced the Cariboo was some sort of year-round paradise, I moved up here and again heard the repetitive weather-related rhetoric. But some of the stories changed:
"Well, we had a bit of snow this year; but nothing major."
"There was snow, but the roads are always quickly cleared, and easy to drive on because of the pebbles Interior Roads puts on them."
"The mosquitoes are only bad because of the wet spring."
Now, as I become more settled and comfortable in the community, people seem to be a bit more honest:
"The huge rocks dumped onto the roads during the winter will destroy your windshield, over and over."
"It gets darn freezing here; you need a block heater for your car."
Regardless of the weather or the fictitious tales, I'm glad I moved.
But my tune might change come winter.

No comments: