Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ride for the first time





As soon as I walked up to the barn, I knew TJ was for me. He seemed a gentle spirit, not as intimidating as the other horses.
But the guide laughed at me.
"I think TJ's part donkey," said Bryce Stewart, employee at the Hills Health Ranch and horseback trail ride expert.
I ignored him.
TJ was saddled and ready to go - somewhat. He seemed a bit hungrier and sleepier than the other larger, more regal-looking horses, but I empathized - it was 35 C outside and now he had to exercise with someone on his back.
After a brief safety instruction, I mounted my steed in one swift jump. Proud of myself, I patiently waited while the other ride participants were assigned horses according to size and experience and used the time to braid TJ's stiff mane.
By the time we were ready to go, TJ was the only horse in the line with a mohawk.
The initial steps on to the trail were easy. I wondered how anyone could fall off a horse.
But that all changed when TJ burst into a trot to catch up to his stable mates.
And it got more intense when, halfway through the hour-long journey, the group was split into two.
"The fast group comes with me," fearless leader Bryce announced. "We'll be trotting and cantering; so I recommend the slow group if you're a beginner."
I felt confident in TJ's sure-feet and opted for the fast group, but it seems my own feet weren't as sturdy in their stirrups.
I bounced to-and-fro in the saddle, and held on for dear life positive I would be flying off the cream-coloured creature at any moment.
The bouncing wasn't the only surprise; I was unaware how much faltering the horses did. I watched them occasionally stumble and wondered how they didn't fall on their faces more often.
But between contracting shaken-person syndrome and fearing for my skull, I annoyed the group with squeals of glee as we travelled through the brush.
And just like that the ride was over, and I was standing next to TJ back at the barn. I expected him to nudge me good-bye, but he ignored me once I dismounted, resuming the search for hay I had so rudely interrupted by riding him.

No comments: